On any streets in Saigon, you will see a wide range of food restaurants which offer both main dishes and snack food that are very delicious. If this is the first time you set your foot in Saigon, don’t miss any chance to experience a Ho Chi Minh food tour:
Banh my is named as the best sandwiches in the world (Instagram/mstrangy)
Saigon baguette (Banh my Saigon): Saigon baguette is a kind of bread that has a lot of stuffing ranging from lean pork paste, omelet, etc. to typical stuffing of this land such as pork skin, flank meat or served with Tieu stew intestine.
Each kind of Saigon baguette has its special flavor that is always savory. That is why this food in Vietnam is voted as among top street foods in the world by many tourism magazines and websites.
- 512 Nguyen Dinh Chieu Street, Ward 4, District 3.
- Huynh Khuong Ninh 23, Da Kao Ward, District 1.
- 26 Le Thi Rieng Street, Ben Thanh Ward, District 1.
This is paradise of many tasty dishes of snails cooked by Vietnamese style (Instagram/leosnak)
Snails: Saigon is not field of snails but this you can find any kind of snails, both ordinary and unordinary in all street walks, in all lanes of Saigon.
Many tourists comment that the tastes of Saigon snail are too delicious that they can’t forget after fulfilling a Ho Chi Minh city food tour.
- Oc Dao restaurant:
Branch 1: 212B alley, Nguyen Trai Street, District 1 (12 am - 6 pm).
Branch 2: 132 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, District 1 (12 am - 12 pm).
“Bun mam” is the dish with full of mother’s love (Instagram/mamayeucuanho)
Fish sauce noodle soup/ hotpot (Bun mam/ Lau mam): This is one of the most well-know specialty of the Mekong Delta Region. These dishes attract tourists thanks to their warm flavor of mam (a kind of sauce) combined with many other ingredients and vegetables. As for a Ho Chi Minh city food guide, these dishes are highly recommended.
"Lau mam" in winter (Instagram/thuonginin)
- Vy restaurant:190/19, Su Van Hanh Street, Ward 9, District 5
- Bac Lieu fish sauce noodle soup restaurant:257, Vinh Vien Street, District 10
- Le Quang Dinh fish sauce noodle soup restaurant:
- 444-369, Le Quang Dinh Street, Ward 5, Binh Thanh District.
The South of Vietnam is the world of various types of rolls (Instagram/crazinaflores)
Pork and shrimp rolls (Goi Cuon): Spring rolls are voted one of the world’s most delicious courses by CNN. Each roll is filled with various ingredients including vegetable, meat and starch. This course should come with a sauce that is sweet-smelling, spicy and moderately salty to promote its perfect flavor. The best time to enjoy this wonderful course is in late afternoon.
- 635 Hung Phu Street, District 8.
- 57 Châu Văn Liêm Street, Ward 14, District 5.
- 359 Le Van Sy Street, District 3.
Grilled pork ribs are dipped in sweet and sour fish sauce. That’s taste you never forget (Instagram/javanfly)
Broken rice (Com tam): This is one of typical dishes of Saigon. A standard disk of broken rice must be able to show savory tastes from not only a moderately grilled flank meat but also from a well-prepared sweet-and-sour sauce.
- Cao Dat restaurant (night): 251 Cao Dat Street, Ward 1, District 5.
- Tu Quy restaurant: Tan Dinh market, at the corner of Hai Ba Trung and Nguyen Huu Cau Street, District 1.
Who can resist to the attractive and delicious dish? (Instagram/nhi.lynt)
Spiny Goby Fish Hot Pot (Lau ca keo): is known as a must-enjoy course for any tourists visiting Ho Chi Minh City. The typical point of this hotpot is the fresh goby fish combined with mildly sour of leaf spices and sour-soup creeper.
- 87 Ba Huyen Thanh Quan Street, Ward 7, District 3.
- 10 Nguyen Thong Street, Ward 7, District 3.
A typical dish of people in the South is made from ưcheap ingredients but seasoned very tasty (Instagram/deliverynow.vn)
Stewed intestine (Pha lau): The next dish you should try in your food tour in ho chi minh city is stewed intestine which is normally made of pork or beef intestine mixed with strong spices.
This course enhances various tastes that are sour, spicy, sweet and salty and shows eye-catching brown color. You can combine this course with baguette or a pack of instant noodles to keep you full.
- 92B/20Bis, Ton That Thuyet Street, Ward 16, District 4.
- Lane 565, Nguyen Trai Street, District 5.
- Ms.Lien restaurant: 102 Phan Van Tri, Ward 2, District 5.
A bowl of hot “hu tieu” can give people full and nutrient breakfast (Instagram/huy.lw)
Phnom-penh noodle soup (Hu tieu Nam Vang): It is also called a “multi-national” dish because it originates from Cambodia but is developed by Chinese people.
Hu tieu Nam Vang is made of pork pieces and minced pork bút in Saigon this dish is added with many other ingredients such as shrimp, pork liver, quail egg, squid etc. Of course it is served with many other vegetables such as water dropwort, garlard chrysanthemum, chieves, lettuce, and bean sprouts, etc.
There are two ways to enjoy “hu tieu”, including dry rice noodles and rice noodle soup. The dry clear rice noodles are prepared with addition of soya-sauce, roasted garlic and a separate soup bowl.
- Hong Phat restaurant: 389-391 Vo Van Tan Street, Ward 5, District 3.
- Tylum restaurant: 93 Huynh Man Dat Street, Ward 7, District 5.
It is the best street food of Saigon young people (Instagram/Hanafavorite.food)
Mixed rice paper (Banh trang tron): Going on Ho Chi Minh food tour with the most favorite snack of Saigon young people.
Each serving is priced at 10,000 – 15,000 VNĐ and is mixed with rice cake cut into threads, larded onion, chilli paste, sour mango or ambarella, quail egg, laksa leaves, fried shrimp or dried squid, etc.
If you still have not try eating this dish, you are considered that you have not ever been to Vietnam! (Instagram/lumneats)
Crispy Vietnamese crepes (Banh xeo - Literally "sizzling cake"): There are two kinds of this dish. One kind is in size of palm that originates from the central region. The other kind is big in size of a pan that originates from the western region. The typical tastes of this dish are crispy, savory and a pan-fried rice cake is usually rolled with many kinds of vegetables.
This simple dish has a very attractive flavor that can surprise any visitors (Instagram/chimy2000)
Fried rice flour cake (Bot chien): The dish is simply made of wheat flour and egg but it is especially sweet-smelling, crispy and fatty thanks to the perfect combination of flour and egg. It becomes more tasteful when served with washy soya sauce. This street food is usually available on sale since afternoon.
- Duc Hoa restaurant: 001 Block K C/C Ngo Gia Tu Street, Ward 2, District 10.
- Dat Thanh restaurant: 277 Vo Van Tan Street, District 3.
Fried ice-cream (Instagram/ mymswworld)
Sidewalk ice cream: Apart from well-know ice cream shops where famous brands are served, tourists to Saigon should enjoy sidewalk ice cream that is very cheap but tastes really delicious.
Light sweet of longan adds very unique flavor to longan ice-cream (Instagram/thuong_huynh)
- Khanh Nhu fresh ice-cream: 2A4 Dinh Tien Hoang Street, District 1.
- Fried ice-cream Hai Thuong Lan Ong: 177 Hai Thuong Lan Ong Street, Ward 13, District 5.
- Longan ice-cream (kem nhan): 2 Truong Han Sieu Street, District 1.
- Mai Vang fried ice cream: 115 Nguyen Lam Street, District 10.
In short, you can easily enjoy a best food tour in Ho Chi Minh with all available good foods offered by this cuisine paradise. Hope you will have a great time to taste more unique dishes there.